Recently, the Clinic building at 67 Broad Street received some structural fortification. When we investigated roof replacement, our architect, Killis Almond, discovered that, years ago, several load-bearing walls had been removed. This caused the roof to sag and leak. With a CDBG grant, the structural walls were re-added, the skylight on the roof was taken out and several other structural changes were made. We believe that this will extend the life of the roof for about 5 years.
The Clinic is the oldest GWT property. We believe it was built circa 1850. It was purchased by Endicott Johnson in 1918 and served as part of EJ Medical Services for EJ workers and immediate family members. At one time, the facility housed Endicott-Johnson’s maternity ward. As part of EJ’s “cradle-to-grave” policy, each baby born to an EJ worker received a silver spoon and a $10 certificate to begin a savings account. Purchased by GWT in 2005, the building is listed as a significant structure in the Susquehanna Heritage Area, and is currently the home of the Goodwill Theatre staff offices.
Project Architect Killis Almond provided architectural services for this project. The work was completed by First General of Southern NY, Inc. Funding for this project was from a CDBG grant administered by the Town of Union.